Monday 17 October 2011

Solemn Novena.

Before I begin this post I just want to say ahead of time that I intend to change the title of my blog from 'The Phantom Cat's Guide to Gothic Ireland' to 'The Phantom Cat's Otherworld'.  Like in the next two days. So when you see a post under this blog title in your dashboard you will know that it's me! Why the change? Well, I want a less formal and altogether more general feel to the blog. I don't want to be limited by my title. Thus change shall be born! 

I also want to say thank you to all of my followers and welcome to the newest ones! :)

Moving forth. I'm going to do a piece on a lovely gothic rock band that formed in Belfast, Northern Ireland, many moons ago. I have yet to do a musical piece so I figured it was time to fix that!

Solemn Novena formed in 2006 and later split in 2010. The band consisted of Louise Crane on vocals (such pretty vocals), Marc McCourt on guitar and vocals and Stuart Harland on guitar. Google won't give me answers so I've decided that their drummer, bassist and keyboardist were actually tiny tiny musical bunnies. Dressed in well pressed black clothing. And teeny teeny hats. 

The band's biography on their facebook page states that, among other things, 'after forming a sordid clichéd love triangle in 2006, screwing around and getting bored... the only thing left to do was to form a band...'

Cool buzz.

The band lists The Cult, The Smiths, The Cure , Rosetta Stone, Curve and Lush as inspirational artists. 

They released their 5 track EP 'As Darkness Falls' in 2006 and their first album 'Kiss the Girls' was released in 2010. 

Add the digital single Silver to that list and that's the bands discography, which is a real shame because they made gorgeous music when they were together! I was drawn to them because their sound is haunting, atmospheric and steady (steady music is important to me, I think its why I LOVE industrial/aggrotech/E.B.M and HATE dubstep). Solemn Novena's music is really easy to listen to but it still feels deep and layered. 

Listen if you like: Rosetta Stone, Nosferatu and The Sisters of Mercy. 

Turn your ear towards:

As Darkness Falls.

Trick or Treat

Silver


Also, I joined Tumblr. If anyone else here uses it, add me! I don't really understand what I'm meant to be doing on it. I find the format very strange. I'm just reblogging the nicest pictures I see?!! Click here for my profile! There are some bat photos in it for you. 

Until next time! 




5 comments:

CadhlaGee said...

Wow I can't believe they're from 2006! They sound like legit classic goth rock/post-punk! Loving it!

The Phantom Cat said...

I'm so glad you like them, yay for spreading the musical love! Such a shame they didn't last long. Thanks for the follow and the comment my dear! :)

PJ Sander said...

"Google won't give me answers so I've decided that their drummer, bassist and keyboardist were actually tiny tiny musical bunnies. Dressed in well pressed black clothing. And teeny teeny hats."

ROFL

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

I'm totally enjoying these guys on YouTube now! Thank you for sharing. :) It's not often I hear of new bands that I actually end up liking, so Solemn Novena is a very refreshing change! :-D

The Phantom Cat said...

Pale Lady- hehe it seemed like the only sensible conclusions I could make! Still does... ;)

VictorianKitty- I'm so glad you like them! Thank god for Youtube eh?!